Sunday 29 April 2007

let them eat cake...

...on Saturday we went to that most civilised of events, a cake party.
It was in honour of Janet's birthday, and there were some friendly and interesting people there and a little alcohol for people for whom cake is not enough. There was tea. And there was CAKE, prodigious quantities of it, the vast majority of which was prepared and baked by Janet's own talented hands.
I ate quite a lot of cake, but (and I say this with a tear in my eye and sadness in my heart) I didn't have the capacity to try all the varieties - in particular I didn't try a reportedly very fine Victoria sponge. A younger me would have done better - it is one of the sadder truths of ageing, that one's capacity for cake consumption is greatly diminished - ho-hum.



If you are thinking of holding a cake party, please don't forget to invite me - I like cake, honest...



PS we brought some home with us - I've just had a piece of brownie - mmm-mmm

click the pic to see bigger cakes

8 comments:

  1. Mmmm...jealous - very jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea - to have a 'cake party' sounds 'yummy'!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not the best blog to read when trying to get a grip on my weight....but boy is my mouth now watering!!!!

    RM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it was great - seriously yummy cakies - thanks Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hya,

    talk about torture! i'm on a total cake ban for the foreseeable future!

    but glad your making up for my lack!

    purkul
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, doesn't that just 'take the cake' or maybe not.
    I remember when I was younger and could consume vast quantities of cake. Heck, I even tried to eat the entire 'Black Forest!'
    Happy blogging :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in Edinburgh just now, and I've just eaten some of my mother's chocolate cake with whisky in it, served with vanilla ice cream. I had seconds, too! (Not that I'm trying to make you feel envious, because I'm distinctly stuffed now, and with the benefit of hindsight I regret the second helping.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my.... chocolate cake with whisky, served with vanilla ice-cream. Do you think your Mum would consider adopting another son?
    Also - I strive manfully not to regret any second (or subsequent) helpings of cake - txxxx

    ReplyDelete