Monday 22 January 2007

my great uncle Percy...







... I have been scanning more old photos, and also trying my hand at retouching and correcting.
I decided to work on this image because I met Percy's son John last summer and it was he who suggested I take my Aunt Joan's photos for scanning (she had originally lent them to him). I'm in touch with John by e-mail and have just sent him some pictures of his father...

The first image (left) is a small version of the original scan, which I then cleaned up in various ways - getting rid of stains, marks, folds and dust. I then processed the image to improve the contrast, sharpness and also indulged in a bit of artistic license and "improved" the highlights in Percy's eyes. I think I prefer the original sepia - but I also produced a black and white version - what do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Generally speaking, I prefer grey images to sepia, but in this case the sepia version seems ever so slightly softer, so I prefer it instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes - I think you are right - Pen reckons sepia is better because it more closely approaches skin tone - seems like a good hypothesis - txxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like the consensus of opinion is a preference for the sepia version in this instance, because I also prefer the sepia image,it is softer,and more in keeping with the times in which it was taken. (also like to say, what a hansome young man he was.)x

    ReplyDelete